How to Choose the Right Wine for Your Favorite Italian Food
Be it a celebratory meal or a Sunday brunch, pairing your favorite food with the proper drink provides a wonderful dining experience. An herb-rich dish and a glass of vintage wine is a match made in heaven, best savored in Italian restaurants.
Certain wines taste exquisite when paired with specific preparations. It is important to choose the right one for the perfect balance, flavour and taste.
Are you wondering about what to go for? This blog post by Romeo’s will help you have an unforgettable experience.
Types of Wines
These are produced from non-coloured grape pulps and fermented without skin. They have a yellow-green or straw-yellow colour. They are of various types:
- Chardonnay: It is semi-sweet or sour with varietal flavours of apple, lemon and melon. It is popular for being paired with cream-based, oil-based and tomato-based sauces.
- Fiano di Avellino: Nutty and textured with spicy and fruity flavours, this wine has floral and honeyed tones.
- Pinot Grigio: Made from a grayish-purple grape, this wine is best paired with oil-based, cream-based or tomato-based sauces.
- Prosecco: A sparkling white wine made from Glera grapes with fruity flavours of honeydew melon, pear and green apple.
- Riesling: It is the sweetest variant of white wine with varietal flavours of grapefruit and melon. Oil-based or cream-based sauces go well with it.
- SpumontiSpumante: Made from a blend of Cortese and Chardonnay grapes, this handmade wine has white flower and apple notes.
These are produced from dark-coloured grape pulp and fermented with their skins to extract anthocyanin. Here are some famous examples:
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Black currant is the primary flavour of this wine with blackberry and mint overtones. It pairs well with tomato-based sauces.
- Barbaresco: Made from Nebbiolo grapes, this wine has smoky notes with flavours of cherry, fennel and truffles.
- Italian Chianti: Popular for its bold colour and taste, this wine pairs best with tomato-based sauces. It also works well with cream-based and oil-based sauces.
- Pinot Noir: Light-medium red in colour, this is mainly enjoyed with tomato-based sauces. You can also pair it with cream-based and oil-based sauces.
- Merlot: It is a mellow red wine with flavours from black cherry, plum, orange and violet. It compliments tomato-based sauces well.
- Sangiovese: It is a great match with cream-based, oil-based and tomato-based sauces. You can even enjoy it with spicy Italian dishes.
- Zinfandel: A bold red wine with peppery and spicy notes, with hints of berries and dark cherries. It pairs well with tomato-based sauces.
Italian Cuisine and Its Wines
Whether you are ordering an entrée or a main course in an Italian restaurant, they are best enjoyed when paired with appropriate wines. A misjudgement can spoil your appetite in moments! Find out the correct combinations below:
• Appetizers and Starters: To begin your meal on the right note, pair the appetizers and starters with a sparkling wine. Some considerations include Prosecco or Spumonti Spumante Brut, mainly served as aperitifs or in cocktails.
• Aged Cheese, Red Meat and Roasts: Full-bodied red wines (with complex, rich and well-rounded flavours) are ideal for these dishes. The high acidity and alcohol content of Barbaresco, Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel balances and enhances the flavours.
• Chicken, Pork, Veal and Pasta with Meat or Tomato Sauces: Light or medium-bodied red wines perfectly complement these complex-flavoured dishes; cleanse your palate with each sip. Some of the finest selections are Italian Chianti, Grignolino and Merlot.
• Seafood Dishes and Cream-Based Sauces: You can pair these with a white wine. Popular options include Chardonnay, Fiano di Avellino and Pinot Biancoor.
• Provincial Recipes: While ordering provincial dishes, it is best to choose a regional wine. For instance, if you are considering a Sicilian-themed meal, choose a drink from Sicily.
If you’re looking for an authentic Italian restaurant, visit any of Romeo’s five locations in Victoria. You can also take out your favorite dishes and wines or try our catering services. Feel free to contact us today for any question.